Want to work at the Food Hall? .
Commis Chef ~ Open
We are looking to appoint a full-time Commis Chef to join our innovative brigade. You will need to have previous experience and identifiable development of your skills in a premier kitchen. The successful candidate will be passionate about food, have great enthusiasm for transforming quality local ingredients into exquisite cuisine.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of The Cookhouse Restaurant team. You will need:
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Complete command of culinary basics
- Flair for attention and quality
- Team spirit, adaptability and flexibility
The Cookhouse Restaurant is a daytime restaurant offering farmers breakfasts, seasonal lunch menu and bespoke afternoon tea offerings. We host evening events including quiz nights. We have private function rooms dedicated to holding corporate meetings, buffet lunches, family celebrations, private dinners…
The aim is to showcase the best of local, seasonal food and as such our menu changes with the seasons. In order to do so, the team harbours a strong relationship with the Suffolk Food Hall to make the most of having a full carcass butchery, scratch bakery, fishmonger and production kitchen just next door. This extends to the small suppliers, and local farmers we work closely with throughout the year.
Salary is dependent upon experience; and there’s a fair share of tips too plus:
- 20% discount in Food Hall
- 25% discount in Café & Cookhouse
- 28 days holiday, inc public holidays
- Benefits include flexible shifts without splits. We’re only open a la carte two evening per week, plus other evenings ad hoc functions. We are closed Christmas Day & Boxing Day.
- We also offer free parking, pension scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Sous Chef ~ On Hold
To assist with the running of the restaurant kitchen within our food service policies, help ensure that company values and standards are delivered, and the operations is budgeted and delivered profitably. To reinforce a high standard of food safety and best practice is maintained, thereby meeting all statutory legislation. 42.5 hours a week 5 days out of 7 Salary negotiable
- To be aware of budgeted and actual departmental financial targets. This to include gross profits (food), stock levels and departmental profits.
- To control and monitor payroll costs by allocating the rota and resources in line with forecasted and actual business levels.
- To assist with ensuring food profit, events and other related targets for your departments are exceeded.
- To support the head chef
- To cook and consistently deliver the right standards for our menus.
- To ensure that the department is professional to both customers and team members.
- To review and act upon feedback relevant to your areas of responsibility, which includes customer complaints.
- To ensure stock is stored and rotated correctly in line with Food Safety requirements, following company policy to meet statutory legislation. This includes recording delivery and temperature checks of food commodities.
- To assist in ensuring the profitability of food operations and Gross Profit management. This includes helping carry out food stock-takes as required.
- To follow all procedures and processes for food controls to meet company requirements.
- To cost dishes as required.
- To help lead and motivate team members to create a team environment which promotes good employee morale and ensures a high level of commitment and pride in the workplace.
- Maintain effective communication within the team by holding regular briefing sessions and attending meetings when required.
- To supervise work of junior chefs, including their use of dangerous equipment.
- To be responsible for ensuring departmental training is carried out to the standard required.
- To continuously coach and counsel colleagues.
- To assist with ensuring unacceptable behaviour and performance is corrected, in line with the company disciplinary procedures, where this forms part of your responsibility.
Controlling the kitchen
- To supervise the department in absence of the Head Chef, to ensure effective operation on a day to day basis whilst maintaining company standards consistently, with attention to detail. This to include ensuring shift controls and procedures are adhered to.
- To assist with creating and updating standards manuals and cleaning schedules.
- To comply with statutory and company requirements for Health and Safety, Risk Assessment, Disability and all employment legislation and ensure all team members are trained accordingly.
- To implement action on Hygiene Audits in order to enhance the environment and achieve positive consistent results.
Production Chef ~ Closed / Filled
Due to the continued expansion of our production and development kitchen, we are now recruiting an additional cook/chef.
We produce a variety of products for all departments on site, so it’s made to a high quality with everything made in house, using good quality ingredients.
To this end we need an enthusiastic, driven & reliable cook/chef who has a thirst to learn and grow with the business.
The successful applicant will need:
- Kitchen experience & a command of culinary skills at a level appropriate to the role
- A good understanding of food safety
- A flair for attention to detail and quality
- To be able to listen and implement advice
- Good time management skills
- To be team spirited, adaptable & flexible
- To have a hard working attitude and work cleanly & efficiently
- Flexibility to work some weekends if required
Circa 30 hours a week Mon – Fri.
Some early starts. Can be flexible.
Salary negotiable on experience
Trainee Butcher ~ Closed / Filled
The Suffolk Food Hall is an award-winning centre of excellence for local food. Our fresh food departments are absolutely central to this, and we are looking for service that will match the quality of our product.
We are currently searching for an enthusiastic and reliable individual who has a passion for food along with the ability to deliver fantastic customer service on our butchery and fishmongers. All candidates as a minimum will need to be self-motivated and forward-thinking, as well as practical and hard-working.
Positions available from 24 to 40 hours per week (3-5 days). Shifts between 8am and 6.30pm. Must be available and willing to work some weekends and bank holidays.
Full/Part Time. Salary: dependent on experience. 20% discount in Food Hall. 25% discount in Café & Cookhouse. 28 days holiday, inc public holidays. Benefits include flexible shifts without splits. We also offer free parking, pension scheme and cycle to work scheme.
You will report to Head of Retail.
- Provide outstanding customer service
- Mix, and prepare value added product range
- Replenish displays, and merchandise products
- Opening and closing checks
- Daily cleaning duties
- Basic cutting skills (training provided)
For more information please call on 01473 786610.
Retail Assistant ~ Interviewing
About us: the Suffolk Food Hall is an award winning centre of excellence for local food with provenance and has recently been awarded 10 year Champion of Champions for Local Food (CA Rural Oscars).
The role: We are currently searching for an enthusiastic and reliable individual who has a distinct passion for food along with the ability to deliver fantastic customer service on the retail floor. You will work across all departments in the Food Hall and our Home & Garden.
You will report to the Head of Retail.
Duties will include:
- Providing outstanding customer service
- Stock replenishment and checking off deliveries
- Merchandising and display
- Opening and closing checks
- Daily cleaning duties
- Cashier work including cashing up
Hours: Shifts vary between 16 and 32 hours per week, (2 to 4 days) from 8.00am to 6.30pm. You’ll need to be willing and available to work weekends and public holidays.
Job Type: flexible
Experience: proven retail experience