Adult supervision is needed, due to scolding hot toffee
- 8 Apples
- 400g Silver spoon caster sugar
- 1 tsp Aspall cidar vinegar
- 4 tbsp Golden syrup
- 100ml of water
- Joe & Seph’s toffee apple popcorn
- Hundreds & thousands
- Sour spider sweets
1. If your apples are shop-bought you may want to place them in a bowl of boiling water for just a couple of seconds to remove the waxy coating, or if the apple is naturally quite waxy. This will help the toffee to stick to the apple better.
2. Next, twist and remove the stalk and carefully insert the stick. Be careful not to push all the way through the apple. Place the apples on a tray, lined with baking paper close to the oven, ready for dipping into the toffee.
3. Prepare the toppings of your choice in a bowl close to the oven.
4. In a saucepan pour in the sugar and water. Heat until the sugar has dissolved. Then add the golden syrup and vinegar, stirring constantly. If using a thermometer the toffee needs to reach 150c, the hard crack stage. If you do not have a thermometer then carefully drop a small amount of the toffee into water. The toffee should immediately set enough to crack. If it comes out soft then continue to heat the toffee.
5. Carefully dip the apples in the toffee, be extremely careful of any toffee dripping onto your hands as this will scold. Quickly sprinkle over the toppings or dip the apple in the bowl of topping. This needs to be done quickly or the toffee will set, and your toppings will not stick.
6. Lay the toffee apples back on the tray to fully set then enjoy once cooled.